Autumn might very well be our favourite season – the chill in the air, the gorgeous foliage, steaming warm beverages, and of course, our woollens! Each fall we eagerly anticipate the return of crafting season and all the new patterns that inspire us to pick up our needles and hooks. We couldn’t possibly cover everything in one post, but today we’ve pulled together a few of our favourite looks from this season’s new patterns!
Whether you’re looking for a cute cropped sweater, a simple sweater with a yoke motif for interest, or you’re all about that squishy brioche, there are tons of fun new sweaters this season. And if you want to combine the elegant and the casual with a bit of colorwork, why not try a swoncho (a combination of sweater and poncho)? If crochet is your craft, we’re loving cozy cabled cardigans and colorful granny squares to brighten up those gray days.
- Nydia by Vanessa Smith (Ravelry and Vanessa Smith Designs)
- Mountain Song by Megan Gonzalez (Ravelry)
- Newspaper Sweater by Joji Locatelli (Ravelry and JojiKnits)
- Hedera by Stephanie Lotven (Ravelry and Tellybean Knits)
- Rooted Cardigan by Miroslava Mihalkova (We Crochet)
- Every Day Granny Square Cardigan by Cintia Gonzalez (free via My Poppet)
On a chilly day there’s nothing better than wrapping up in an oversized handmade shawl. Go semi-solid with lace or texture for an oversized triangular shawl. Or knit a longer wrap on the bias so you can wrap it multiple times! Combine colors and garter stitch with tassels for a bit of fun. Or try a fun new style – a cushy scarf with pockets to keep your hands warm! Or go with a delicate lace designed to accessorize your favorite coat!
- Up the Beanstalk by Jennifer Weissman (Ravelry)
- Honey Glow by Tamy Gore (Laine Magazine Issue 12)
- Antha Wrap by Katy Carroll (Ravelry)
- Ampersand Wrap by Tif Nielan (Ravelry and Tif Handknits)
- Persimmon Pocket Shawl by Breann Mauldin (Ravelry and Hooked on Handmade Happiness)
- Lacy Shells by Jennifer Ryan (free via Celtic Knot Crochet)
Winter for us means cold feet – but not if you make your own woolly socks! Whether you prefer short and lacy, plain and simple, colourfully striped, or textured, keep those feet warm all winter long (and hanging out beside the fireplace never hurts either)!
- Kenzie Socks by Deb Buckingham (Ravelry and Etsy)
- Cozy by Sarah Stevens (Ravelry)
- Moorland Socks by Jen Arnall-Culliford (Ravelry and ACK Knitwear)
- Front Range Socks by Lynn Zimmerman (Ravelry)
- The Alice Sock by Yarn Over Floyd (Ravelry or Yarn Over Floyd)
- Synthesizer Socks by Marta Mitchell (Ravelry)
Other Winter Accessories
Winter also means it’s time for hats, mittens, cowls and more! We found a ton of fun hats with gorgeous colourwork and textures in both knit and crochet. We’re also smitten with the cowl offerings from Shetland Wool Week and Interweave Crochet. And there’s even a Mittens and Socks two-fer!
- Asti Spumante Hat by Thea Colman (Ravelry)
- Gerua Hat by Mary Renji (Ravelry)
- Blood Thistle by Faye Kennington (Ravelry and Payhip)
- Harbour Cowl by Andrea Williamson (Shetland Wool Week)
- Hypha Cowl by Bethany Pratt (Ravelry and Interweave Crochet)
- Sundials Mittens and Socks by Spilly Jane (Knit Picks)
Did we miss your favourite new find of the season? Please let us know in the comments!