If you love wearing makeup (or even if you don’t), we bet you have a drawer or a cabinet full of products you don’t use very often. In the spirit of Marie Kondo, we’re inspired to tackle that challenge, get rid of old and unused products and only keep what brings us joy. If you’re ready to take that challenge with us, then keep reading!
- Take inventory.
Any good cleanout starts with making a really big mess. It’s time to dump those drawers or cabinets out and figure out what you have. Corral all your beauty products in one place so you can see what’s in your collection.
- Start sorting.
A good place to start is to pull out the products that you use daily or weekly. Those are your must haves, and you’re using them!
Next pull out any products that you haven’t used in at least a year. Why haven’t you used them? Are they old? Out of season? Not quite what you wanted when you bought it? What makes you hold on to these products?
- Time to clean house.
Remember that even if makeup doesn’t “expire” it does provide places for bacteria to grow, so you should be replacing items regularly. You can find more details in this informative report, but here are the basic suggestions:
- Mascara – every 3 months
- Lipsticks – yearly
- Eyeliner – every 3-6 months, pencils last longer than liquids
- Primers/Foundation – 2 years
- Powders/Blush – 2 years
- Lotions and creams in pump bottles – yearly
- Lotions and creams you scoop out – every 3-6 months
If the products you are disposing of come from the pile that you don’t wear regularly, consider not replacing them. If they’re part of your everyday must-haves, definitely repurchase them!
- Let’s organize.
If you’re going to use all these products on a regular basis, make sure you’re organizing them so you can find them more easily. Purchase drawer trays/separators, or baskets for cabinets to keep everything neat and tidy and in its own proper place. This will cut down on clutter! If you’re looking for some inspiration, we love this article from Apartment Therapy featuring 16 different makeup organizers!
- Think about future purchases.
We’ve all fallen prey to impulse purchasing where we just have to have the newest color or try a new product. As you continue to purchase products, just keep a mindful eye on what you wear, what fits into your lifestyle and what you’re most likely to use. If it brings you joy, or you still have to have it, go for it!
- Don’t forget the makeup brushes!
The tools you use to apply your makeup should be clean and fresh to avoid makeup contamination. Brushes and sponges should be cleaned weekly to remove excess makeup and oils from your skin, and this is where Eucalan Delicate Wash can help!
- Wet bristles with water.
- Add a drop of full-strength Eucalan to bristles. Massage through with fingers in the direction the bristles are placed (from base to tip)
- Rinse well. Repeat previous steps as necessary .
- Gently squeeze excess water out of bristles by placing brush on a clean absorbent towel, wrap towel over bristles and press the towel down onto the bristles. Do not rub, simply press down. Do this several times, then allow brushes to lay on towel until fully dry. Note: do not stand brushes on bristles or on ends as this will ruin your brush.
Did we miss anything? We’d love to hear your favourite tips for decluttering makeup and cosmetics. Please leave us a message in the comments.
Like this post? Pin it!