Christmas is almost here! Today I share some of my favourite decorating tips to add a warm touch to your home during the holiday season. I hope these festive ideas inspire you to make merry – and if you need some great baking ideas, check out last year’s Top 10 list, found here!
1. Choose a theme / colour scheme. Start by looking for inspiration in your local stores, magazines or online. My inspiration for softer muted colours hit me a few years ago when I saw a set of ornaments I loved. Everything else fell into place after that. Yes, I try to make sure my gift wrap coordinates in some way, too!
2. I’m a sucker for little lights whether they are from candlelight, the fireplace, the Christmas tree…or all three! In particular, I’m inspired by French Country Cottage.
3. A simple and elegant table setting looks inviting during the bright daylight or in the evening. I love this one from Shabbyfufu. You can also check out our last blog post, 4 Tips for Setting a Beautiful Table, for more ideas.
4. If you’re inclined to decorate with food…sugar cookies fit any theme or décor! I tried my hand at them for the first time last year with all the supplies and instructions from Sweet Sugar Belle. I came across and old aluminum serving tray which fit them just perfectly.
5. I love how Christmas smells! Placing some simple, fresh ingredients in a pot of boiling water on the stove really sets the mood. There are lots of ideas on Pinterest, but here’s a link to a cute idea with a free printable to make gifts for your loved ones.
6. If lights and food and scents aren’t quite enough, music will surely put the finishing touch on any holiday event. I love classic crooners like Diana Krall, Anne Murray, and Michael Buble. And this underrated gem: Barenaked Ladies “Elf’s Lament” with Michael Buble:
7. Faux greens can really elevate a display (not to mention, they’ll last through the season!). Stone Gable has some tips and ideas on how to use good quality fakes and where to find them.
8. Gingerbread houses really fit into many categories. They’re food. They’re décor. They’re a great craft for adults and kids. The possibilities are endless! I’ve started my own Pinterest board for inspiration.
9. How about getting creative with snowflakes? They can be left up all winter long too!
10. Whether you imbibe or not, a bar cart is a great way to decorate and isn’t just for alcoholic beverages. I just love this one from Setting For Four.
11. One extra tip / idea that I love is to whittle down what you use for your decorations each year. If you don’t put out some of your décor for a couple of years it may be time to get rid of it. Consider donating those items if no one in your family wants them. Someone else out there will love them as much as you used to.