The wedding day has come and gone and you have a multitude of memories and photos to remind you of that incredible, special day. How beautiful you looked in your wedding dress, not to mention the memories you have of shopping for it, looking through magazines, figuring out a style or detail you really wanted, and then finally deciding which dress was the right one for you. It’s all part of the story of your wedding dress.
Once the wedding is behind you, it can come as a bit of surprise that your beautiful dress has a filthy hem or train, or you find food or stains from either you or an overzealous hugger who might have sloshed a bit of their drink on you. And while you know you aren’t going to wear the dress again, you want to clean and preserve it in a way that will keep it looking beautiful for years to come.
Having your dress professionally dry cleaned and preserved has an average cost of $265 dollars; not to mention the process and harsh chemicals can damage delicate embroidery, sequins and beadwork.
But did you know that you can actually clean and preserve your wedding dress yourself? Not only will you probably take more care in cleaning your own dress, but by using Eucalan, it’s far cheaper and significantly better for the environment. Eucalan is non-toxic, biodegradable, free of optical brighteners, phosphates, synthetic fragrance and dye – so it’s a perfect choice for ensuring the preservation of your wedding dress for years to come. Besides, washing your wedding dress is easier than you’d think! We can walk you through the whole process step by step:
- Add Eucalan to your washing machine or bathtub filled with tepid water.
- Immerse dress in water and allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Add Eucalan full strength (straight from the bottle, not diluted in water) to tough stains and rub gently with a soft bristled toothbrush until stain disappears. Your train and hem will likely need the most effort.
- Squeeze dress with your hands to incorporate soap and water through the fabric.
- Soak dress for an additional 15 minutes.
- Eucalan does not require rinsing, but if you wish to, give it a gentle rinse under fresh tepid water.
- Remove from water and squeeze or spin out excess water.
- You may roll in a towel, but go slowly and be careful not to get any beads stuck on towel fibres.
- Hang to dry away from direct sunlight or heat.
And if you are still counting down the days to your wedding, it’s worth having a Eucalan stain treating towelette in your emergency bag. It makes it quick to clean up any little bits of make-up, food, or grass and such from outdoor photo shoots. Give one to each member of your wedding party, as well – it’s worth keeping everyone looking their best! here is a short video showing how quick and easy it is to spot clean with one of the towelettes:
If you love all things wedding related, you should check out our Wedding Pinterest Board!