The autumn season means the return of many beloved sports: football, soccer and one our favourites, hockey! Today we’ve pulled together some crafty ways you can celebrate your team spirit and keep warm and cozy as a spectator at events throughout the autumn and winter months.
Team Spirit Patterns
We were inspired to do this post by the Crackerjack Cowl (see below for links), a recipe for chronicling your favourite team’s season. Choose colors for home and away games, wins and losses and keep knitting throughout the season as you cheer the players on to victory! But we’ve found tons of other team spirit patterns. There’s a garter stitch scarf which you can make in any team colors, a fun colourwork hockey hat, a stripey crochet hat, and the adorable afghan showing all the sports balls!
- Crackerjack by Stacey Simpson Duke (Ravelry)
- Football Fan by Kathy Hammerton (Ravelry, Etsy)
- Let’s Play Hockey Hat by Jess Anderson (Ravelry)
- Team Cheers Earflap Hat by Nancy Smith (Yarnspirations)
- Sports Balls Afghan by Alaina Smith (Ravelry, Etsy)
Patterns to Personalize
If your attention wasn’t captured by our first set of patterns, we’ve found tons of gorgeous patterns that can be adapted simply by using your team colors! A two color striped hat, or a three color hat with linen stitch details keep both adults and little ones warm on chilly days. Some stripey mitts keep those hands warm while adding a bit of a retro feel. Or you can go more elegant with a drapey shawl (the largest size almost feels like a blanket!). For our crocheters there are two other blankets to keep you toasty warm while in the stands. Really the options are endless!
- June Hat by Meghan Kelly (Ravelry)
- Golden Pear by Melissa Thompson (Sweet Fiber Yarns website)
- Paddle by Tin Can Knits (Ravelry, Tin Can Knits website)
- Half and Half Triangles by Purl Soho (Purl Soho website)
- Moss Stitch in a Square Blanket or Shawl by Sarah Zimmerman (Repeat Crafter Me website)
- Wildwood Plaid Blanket by Alexandra Tavel (Ravelry, Two of Wands website)
Other Crafty Ideas
Don’t knit or crochet? No problem! With just a bit of fleece fabric you can create blankets or scarves – no sewing necessary. Or adorn hats, keychains or other items with these easy tassels made out of embroidery floss. And if you’re handy with a sewing machine, take all those team t-shirts you’ve been collecting over the years and turn them into a fabulous quilt – snuggle under it while watching your team score on tv or take it to the stadium with you.
- Football Applique No Sew Blanket (Joann’s)
- Easy Team Spirit Tassels by Carries (Team Colors by Carrie website)
- DIY T-shirt Blanket by Emma (Teaspoon of Nose website)
We hope we’ve given you a few fun ideas to show your team spirit no matter which sport is your favourite!
Looking for more ideas? Check out our Team Spirit Pinterest board.